If you have questions or need technical support with your Zoom pro account, please call 707-527-4771 M-F 7:30am-7pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In need of a Zoom Pro Account? Contact email@example.com
All SRJC employees are entitled to an Education Licensed Zoom Pro account that allows for up to 300 attendees in a single meeting, no time restrictions on meetings, and cloud recording capabilities for short-term usage. Zoom helps us to stay connected remotely while keeping one another safe.
Media Services is available weekdays from 7:30am - 7pm for remote assistance with Zoom questions at (707) 527-4771.
- It is highly recommended that users keep your Zoom client software updated (currently v. 5.7.5) to apply important bug fixes and gain access to new features.
- Highlights of the newest releases in Summer 2021 include:
- New: In Focus Mode, only the host can see participants’ videos and profile pictures. You can start Focus Mode from the “More” menu on the toolbar of the desktop client. This requires the desktop client for Windows or macOS version 5.7.3 or higher.
- New: Meeting hosts can create a survey to launch at the end of a meeting. Meeting participants will be prompted upon closure of the meeting
New: Users can customize the Waiting Room by uploading a video. This enables meeting attendees to watch pre-recorded videos to the start of the meeting
- Highlights of the newest releases in April 2021 include:
- Immersive View:
Recreate the feel of your classroom, conference room or choose from several other scene options, by placing video participants onto a single virtual background. Participants are automatically placed onto provided scenes, but the host can upload their own custom background and adjust the arrangements as needed. This requires client version 5.6.3 or higher.
- Full Emoji Suite:
If the meeting reactions feature is enabled, account owners and admins can allow meeting participants to use all emojis or a predefined set of 6 emojis. This feature requires client version 5.6.3 or higher.
- Immersive View:
- Highlights of the newest releases in March 2021 include:
New: Ability for users to view submitted incident reports, and to manage email invitations for language interpretation.
Improved: Clearer designation of shared content
Resolved: Echo audio issue, slides as virtual background not recording properly, pinning non-authenticated users
Security enhancements and minor bug fixes
- Highlights of the newest releases as of February 2021 include:
- Share and play video files directly into meeting (for smoother video playback)
- Share mono or stereo (high-fidelity) computer sound
- Blurred background option in virtual backgrounds list
- Restoration of persistent non-verbal feedback (under Reactions button)
- Alternative Host feature enhancements
- Camera rotation option (macOS)
- Improved Android 11 support, and more...
- Other recent client versions over the past several months have added:
- Custom gallery layouts, multi-pinning and multi-spotlighting
- Video & studio filters, virtual background support for more CPUs
- Share multiple screens simultaneously
- Enhanced Outlook & calendar integration
- Custom time limits for "join before host" feature
- Search users when adding alternative hosts
- Host can admit participants from the Waiting Room while within a Breakout Room
- Breakout Room improvements for hosts and participants
- Raise hand for host and co-host
- Poll reports available during live session
- Improved grouping of security options when scheduling
- LIVE TRANSCRIPTION is now available in the latest Zoom client software. The feature, when enabled by the host, automatically creates subtitles in real-time. For more info, please see the TechConnect press release or this handy guide from The University of Minnesota.
- For help updating your Zoom client on district-issued devices, contact the IT HelpDesk.
More Zoom Resources
- If you're planning to record something via Zoom for wide distribution, consider reviewing our Zoom Recording Best Practices.
- In addition, Zoom now offers a comprehensive guide for Hosting Virtual Events.
For equipment requests like microphones & webcams for video conferencing, visit the IT Equipment Loaner Page.
More SRJC custom backgrounds for Zoom are now available for download, thanks to Public Relations!
Hosting a large virtual event? Media Services can help produce your next Zoom Webinar.
Distance Education has produced a beautiful infographic to help instructors Share Video via Zoom
For added convenience, use Single Sign On (SSO) to login to your SRJC Zoom account with district credentials.
Cloud recording is a short-term access option; to preserve videos for future use, follow our DE preservation tips.
Canvas users may enable the Zoom LTI Pro on your Canvas account settings for easier scheduling and the latest integration features.
On Nov 24, 2020, approx. 290 employee accounts were invited to migrate to the SRJC Zoom subaccount. An email with the subject line "Your email domain has been claimed" was sent out from Zoom. The email is valid, and users may accept the invitation to complete this migration process. For further assistance, please contact Nate Musser.
Zoom Security Tips
Zoom security Best Practices
Check out this Zoom Settings Guide to help you get the most out of your Zoom experience for further customization.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I tell what version of the Zoom client I’m using? What other changes can I expect?
- I recently contacted Media Services and joined SRJC’s subaccount. Does that mean I already have the latest version of Zoom?
Not necessarily. That means you upgraded your license to allow for full feature access and streamlined internal support, but does not guarantee you’ve installed the latest software client version. To be sure, check which version you are using on and verify it is 5.6.0.
- I don’t have a Zoom Pro account yet. How do I get one that doesn’t expire after 40 minutes?
If you have a basic account but have not yet upgraded to Zoom Pro, please contact Nate Musser in Media Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 707-524-1614 to have your license upgraded to Zoom Pro (free to all district employees). This will allow you to host up to 300 attendees per meeting, with unlimited minutes.
- Can I change my default meeting settings?
Click here to change the default meeting settings for your account, as well as your personal meeting ID, and more.
- Why should I add a passcode to my Zoom meetings?
Passcodes add an extra layer of security to your Zoom meeting, and by the end of September, all users will either have to enable Waiting Rooms or have passcodes on all meetings. This change will not affect participants who join by clicking the meeting or webinar link with a passcode embedded. Only those who enter the meeting ID manually to join will need to enter the password manually as well. Click here for more detail.
- Will my scheduled meetings, recordings, or settings be lost in the transition to a Pro account?
You may continue to use current and previously scheduled meetings after upgrading; while you may wish to edit the settings to apply a password or set an alternative host, e.g., the meeting IDs should remain valid. All recordings will remain intact as well.
- Where can I find the meeting passcode?
For scheduled meetings, the passcode will be in the invitation. For instant meetings, the passcode will be displayed in the Zoom Client. The passcode is also included in the meeting join URL. Click here for more.
- What features are available on the new Zoom LTI Pro on Canvas?
The Zoom LTI Pro on Canvas will enable easier meeting scheduling in a familiar Zoom interface, as well as direct access to personal settings and cloud recording. For a full technical comparison, view this chart.
Media Services is available weekdays from 7:30am - 7pm for remote Zoom assistance and by phone at (707) 527-4771.
If you have questions about this webpage or would like to see other information added, please contact Nate Musser (email@example.com).